Tuesday, 26 February 2013

Top 10 winter lip balms, tried & tested

Hi Beauties,

Winter won't seem to go away, boo! My lips continues to be dry and chapped and my addiction to biting them continues! 
I bring you my little guide of lip balms and how to choose one which suits you best. I have tested various brands over a period of days each and have thoroughly enjoyed testing them all. I have to say they have all impressed me in their own little ways. So here goes...

1). Smiths Rosebud* 
Priced at £7.60 this is the only squeezy top on my list and I do love it. I'd class this as quite a high quality product because of the price and its celeb affiliation. I love the consistency and emollient texture of this 'balm.' It's a pinkish colour, and very velvety, rich and creamy in texture, really deeply moisturizes lips and keeps them soft and velvety for a very long time. It does have a faint scent of rose, not too overpowering though which is good because it keeps it feeling and tasting very natural still. 
I would definitely recommend if you like mess free lip balms (not like the tins you stick your fingers in) or if you have a tendency to break chapsticks (ahh hummm...like me) and if you like thick, rich textures. Available from Love-makeup

2). Carmex Lip Pot (Original)
Priced at £2.69 this i your budget, quick relief balm. I love the presentation, a quirky little tin, colourful and appealing. Very nicely fragranced of cherry this balm screams 'BUY ME' straight away. However, although I do like the very balmy YET light texture which has a hint of oily sleekness rather than wax, I found that it felt like it was stinging my lips so I was quite quick to put it down. It's a shame as this was the only downfall for me. I can't recommend it for that reason but I'm sure a lot of people use it and enjoy it. I'd love to hear from you if you've tried this! Available from Boots




3). Nivea Lip Butter in Raspberry Rose* 

Priced at £2.25 this little budget gem is a handbag must-have regardless of how many lip balms you already own! I think that huge brands like Nivea often get overlooked, especially by bloggers who often search for less heard of brands, but they really shouldn't because the little tin really is a pleasure to use. 
As the name states, 'lip butter' means its consistency is just like creamy butter, BUT with a wonderful smell of raspberry. It is simply DIVINE! You even fall in love from just opening the tin. Because the texture is so creamy it feels like its instantly healing and restoring your lips, and it's also easier to clean off your fingers because it's not waxy like a lot of balms. Nourishing, moisturizing and soothing. I can't think of what else to say other than...I'm in love. 


Highly recommended. Available from Boots


4). The Handmade Soap Company Choco-Mint lip balm*
Priced at 4.50Euros (Ireland) I was automatically intrigued by the taste/fragrance of choco-mint. I must say, it smells and tastes more minty than chocolatey but it is still rather nice. The texture is quite hard and you do have to rub at it for a little while to get enough on your finger to glide over the lip and even so it doesn't feel like you got very much on, so it doesn't over-indulge your lips in softness and smoothness. This was the only downside for me. The tin is very small and cute and as soon as you've rubbed it on lips you automatically feel the tingling of the mint, which we all know is very medicinal when it comes to lips. 

If you like very very minimal balms with little texture rather than more lush ones, then this might be for you. Available from Handmadesoapcompany


5). Blistex Daily Lip Conditioner* 
Priced at £2.59 this is another budget yet absolutely amazing balm. The texture is perfect, not waxy but not too light and sleek either. This lovely balm instantly infuses lips with softness and much needed moisture. It also has a wonderfully subtle vanilla scent which makes it good enough to eat. The balm absorbs quickly and conditions lips very well for a long time so you don't have to re-applying it every 10 minutes. It looks simple and well made and doesn't leave lips oily and slippery like a lot of tin balms often do. I love the name, daily lip conditioner because it does just what it says on the tin. Keeps lips well conditioned all day long! 

Highly recommended for general lip care and if you want an easily accessible cheap balm.
Available from Boots


6). Elizabeth's Daughter Smoothing, Glossing  Balm*
An intriguing brand I had never heard of before and was very curious to try. I love the name. Reminds me of a good quality, exclusive family brand which is hard to dislike.
This balm is by far the biggest out of the bunch, so very good value for money at £8.00. It's also in a squeezy tube so you don't waste any. This is a very natural balm, it's odorless and it's made with Apricot butter which glosses and softens lips, Shea butter and Aloe Vera which protect and condition. Now! This is what I wanted to tell you about this balm. I've also been using it on my cuticles as they've been very dry lately and wow. Super conditioning, just like a cuticle cream. I love it! Big tube AND multi-functional. Definitely good value for your money.
On the lips this is quite rich and very glossing indeed, makes a nice change from cold and discoloured winter lips and instantly embellishes lips in moisture and comfort. 

Recommended if you like easy, mess-free, multi-functional, good value products and don't mind shopping online for it. Can't wait to discover more from this brand...
Available from Elizabeth's Daughter


7). VOYA Balmelicious Organic Lip Balm*

Priced at £10.50 this really is a little piece of luxury. I always like including organic products in round-up reviews because I feel it's important for people to know if there is a difference, and often, if the organic price is justified. 
This balm is certified organic and contains a blend of wheat germ and sweet almond oil. Rich in natural anti–oxidants, soothing liquorice root and seaweed oil vitamins. Vanilla & Peppermint. Although it's supposed me be lemon & lime tasting but this is very faint. This is OK as I don't really care about the smell/taste as long as it does the job. This does definitely do the job. It's not one of those super nourishing and creamy balms which make lips really glossy, it's more discreet as the lipstick tip is quite hard, you end up not using a lot (which makes it last longer) and still protects and relieves dry lips, but doesn't leave them feeling or looking oily.

Definitely recommended, you know what you're putting on your lips which justifies the price-tag.
Available from Selfridges and
 VOYA.ie


8). Liquorice Lip Balm from The Skin Shop*

Priced at £7.95 this is an absolutely fabulous little balm. Actually...not so little. One of the biggest tins in this round-up. This balm is EXCELLENT  The liquorice taste and scent is not overwhelming but just right! The texture is quite thick but oily, so lips are instantly immersed in yummy, repairing, hydrating goodness. One of my favourites and it's been clinically proven to work. Always a plus. The liquorice lip balm was found to be super effective on cold sores during a double-blind trial, carried out by the Herpes Viruses Association on forty people*. It reduced the severity and duration of outbreaks for over 73% of subjects tested and, furthermore, 83% of subjects using the liquorice balm reported experiencing less severe outbreaks than when using their conventional treatments. I know my lips have definitely been softer.

Highly recommended. Available from The Skin Shop



9). EOS Pomegranate Lip Balm*

Priced at £4.99 this is a relatively medium budget product. This is the funkiest of the lot! I've always wanted to try this brand because of the really cute shape the balm comes in. It has a very strong scent and taste of pomegranate (my favourite fruit) and because it's the same application as a chapstick/lipstick it doesn't give an instant creamy relief but more of a lighter application instead (best for when lips are not chapped but just a little dry). Result? It doesn't leave lips oily or saturated, again, this is a safer option if you don't like having to keep licking your lips or rubbing them together to get rid of moisture. 

All in all. I'd recommend. Available from Big Green Smile



10). Simple eddential lip balm. SPF15*

What can I say? A truly simple balm =) Priced at £2.99 this is a relatively budget balm. For a chapstick shaped balm the texture is quite creamy and rich. It's great for summer as well as winter because it contains SPF15 protection. Un-scented and un-coloured, this is a great super-natural budget balm to take everywhere. Very good quality chapstick, easily accessible brand and purse-friendly. 

Highly recommended for all occasions and even the pickiest of girlies! 
Available from Boots



XOXO

13 comments:

  1. I have a ridiculous amount of love for lipbalms and am always trying out new ones! My favourite by far is the body shop vitamin e lipbalm. It works wonders and has the most amazing non slippy, non glossy texture whilst keeping your lips sooo moisturised! xx
    zoeyinwonderland.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might have to give it a try...once all my stash is finished that is haha xx

      Delete
  2. I love Rosebud! The Blistex daily conditioner sounds good. I love balms :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice products! Lovely post + pictures! Great blog you have here. I'm your newest follower :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Looking forward to your next post! xx

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog, i have nominated you for the Liebster Award , check it out :)

    http://lauralouisehaynes.blogspot.co.uk/

    Laura xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing!great post!
    GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!CHECK IT OUT!
    http://talkingaboutf.blogspot.gr/
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Nivea lip butters! They're so good! I love your blog, followed!

    Thank you for the lovely comment on mine!

    xox

    http://lavitadolce-xo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I would love to try the EOS Lip Balm! I heard a lot of good things about it.
    Full of Inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been looking for a place to find EOS lip balms for so so long! Thanks for the tips :)
    Love your blog, new follower :)
    beautysplash75.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi thankyou so much for your lovely comment on my blog im am now following you back :) I have the carmex & blistex one the tingling sensation is awesome :D

    I really like your blog, did you end up getting anything from Fragrance Direct?

    Gemma xx
    http://gemmaroberts.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  10. i added the nivea raspberry to my tesco basket, having ordered other things
    i thought i'd over treated myself and took it back off,
    Seeing this its now back in the basket!!
    I love this carmex one, Its Not strong like the pot and leaves a lovely pink sheen ;)

    http://www.superdrug.com/carmex-moisture-plus-lip-balm-pink/invt/393451

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favourite product the Smiths Rosebud only I use them for my hands

    Lots of love,

    April
    www.freakdelafashion.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig