Thursday, 23 January 2014

Book Review: Awakening by S.J. Bolton

AwakeningS.J. Bolton 
Genre: Thriller
My Rating: 3*
Synopsis: Clara Benning is an intelligent young vet living in a small town in rural England. However, she's a recluse in her own life. Badly disfigured on the left side of her face by a childhood accident, Clara shies away from all human contact and prefers the company of animals. 
However, after living in solitude for many years, Clara's solitude is brutally invaded as she becomes the center of attention in her village as the only reptile expert who can shed any light on the mysterious snake attacks which have recently taken the village by storm. 

With the at first un-wanted help of a famous snake expert and local constable, Clara soon finds that the snake attacks are not all the seem, and are in fact linked to ancient sacrifice rituals. For someone the truth must remain buried in the past, even if they have to kill!


My thoughts...I ultimately liked the plot and the twist at the end, I thought from the beginning I got a very good view into Clara's personality and it became easy to understand why she was the way she was, seemingly rude to her neighbours, easily stressed and a vet by career choice.
The first 60 pages or so kept me very interested because I really wanted to know what the whole snake business was, it just seemed so bizarre. Also, another thing I liked in the book was the fact that there are SNAKES. I didn't expect this to be a thriller with killer snakes (who ultimately end up not being the killers) but it was a good and rather different surprise.
The only negative comment I have to make on this novel is that I felt it dragged on a fair bit. I felt at times like what I was reading was just irrelevant and it just delayed me getting to the twist at the end of the story. This often caused me to lose enthusiasm in the book and read it because I just wanted to finish it rather than reading it because I was enthralled by it. I feel that at over 500 pages, the book could've definitely been made smaller.


Overall, I liked it, but I didn't love it. I lost interest half way through and didn't have that excitement of getting home and reading it straight away. However, due to the well written, good plot I will definitely give other S. J. Bolton books a go in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger & Blogspot Templates from pipdig